These are delightful!! I used strawberries. You can honestly use any type of fruit you want.
We’ve been taught to believe that muffins are sugar and fat-laden “cheat foods” to be avoided And, if they’re healthy, that they taste like styrofoam, and are to be equally avoided. These sweet raspberry muffins are a game-changer. They are made with wholesome ingredients, are incredibly moist and delicious, and have only 126 calories and 1 gram of fat.
Naturally sweetened with applesauce and a touch of maple syrup, these muffins taste like dessert but you can eat them for breakfast (with some fruit and protein). The raspberries become extra juicy and burst to give the muffins an almost soufflé-like interior. Chia seeds add a boost of fiber and a surprising crunch.
The secret ingredient that takes this recipe to the next level is mashed sweet potato (you can make it fresh or buy the silky smooth canned version — or use pumpkin puree). The flavor is undetectable, but it gives the muffins richness and makes them even sweeter and even more irresistible.
Total Time: 28 min.
Prep Time: 10 min.
Cooking Time: 18 min.
Yield: 12 servings, 1 muffin each
Nonstick cooking spray (optional)
1½ cups whole wheat flour
1 Tbsp. chia seeds
2 tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. fine sea salt (or Himalayan salt)
1 cup mashed sweet potato (or pumpkin puree)
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 large egg whites (¼ cup)
½ cup pure maple syrup
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 cup fresh raspberries
1. Preheat oven to 375° F.
2. Prepare 12 muffin cups by lining with muffin papers or coating with spray.
3. Combine flour, chia seeds, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl; mix well. Set aside.
4. Combine sweet potato, applesauce, egg whites, maple syrup, and extract in a medium bowl; whisk to blend.
5. Add flour mixture to egg mixture; mix until just blended.
6. Gently fold in raspberries.
7. Divide batter among prepared muffin cups.
8. Bake 15 to 18 minutes, or until golden brown and tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
9. Transfer muffins to rack; cool.
Love & Gratitude,